We all have things that annoy us. For me it's annoying phrases or words - mainly because I end up using the bloomin' things and hating myself deep down inside.
1. Labelling stuff 'cheeky'.
Since when are items 'cheeky'? If you want to have a pint with your mate on a Wednesday afternoon, it doesn't make said pint any more or, might I add, less cheeky than it does on a Saturday night. But do feel free to tell me if I'm wrong. I've always been interested in personality disorders of the average beverage.
2. It would be rude not to.
Whilst I'm standing tall on my soapbox can I also ask where you all get off, telling everyone that it would be rude not to as well? Because, actually, it would be rude if you were to! You'd be re-enforcing the sheer cheek of said pint by giving in to it.
3. Mumpreneur. Courtesy of Kerrie @ Wife Mum, Student Bum
As if 'entrepreneur' wasn't poncey enough, we now have new words dedicated to those who feel the need to add the fact that they're a mother as well. How utterly irritating. As you can gather I'm not an entrepreneur. I'm simply mumployed.
4. Hun. Courtesy of Michelle @ Seeing Rainbows
I am ashamed to say that this is one I have been caught up in. Hook line and sinker. I do it all the time and it's severely shameful. It's nothing but a fake term of endearment and it's not even correctly spelled. Gah!
5. Bae. Courtesy of Jamie-Lee @ Bibbity Bobbity Boo
FOR REAL?? I just. I can't.
6. Just sayin'. Courtesy of Claire @ Girl Geek Up North
Well I didn't think you'd telepathically informed me. It's a verbal hand to the face isn't it, a politely worded 'full stop and shut up'. Bore off with the rudeness.
7. I don't mean to be rude but... Courtesy of Jenni @ Chilling with Lucas
So you're clearly about to ruffle my feathers then, yeah? This is way up there with "With all due respect"... prepare to be disrespected at the highest degree!
8. Totes, Well Jel, Bants, Ridic etc. Courtesy of Alicia @ A Mummy First
All this Southern 'reality' TV codswollop. I'M DOING IT MYSELF AND I WANT TO CUT MY TONGUE OUT. Please stop abusing the English vocabulary and dragging me down with you.
9. Throwing shade. Courtesy of kirstie @ Behind the Scent
Back in my day you were simply 'being shady'. Since when was it turned into a physical activity?
10. I'll reach out to them and... Courtesy of Rachel @ Rachel in Real Life
No. What you're going to do is call or email them aren't you? Reach out. Pfft.
11. I'm not gunna lie. Courtesy of Amy @ Amy Rutter
You mean to tell me you normally would? Keep an eye on those who use this phrase.
12. Cray cray. Courtesy of Tori @ The Adultier Adult
As Tori says "It's not even an abbreviation! It's the same amount of syllables and just makes you sound like a moron. Aaaaarrrggghhh!!"
14. So basically what it is, is this. basically. Courtesy of Deanna @ The British Belle
Basically overusing basically when talking, basically. Just spit it out!! It's things like this that ruin Jeremy Kyle for me.
15. Smile, it might never happen. Courtesy of Deborah @ Country Heart & Home
Well it just did, you condescending meff.
16. I feel you.
Remind me never to tell you anything ever again.
17. It is what it is.
If it wasn't what it was then we wouldn't be referring to it as being the thing it is in the first place. Talk about stating the obvious.
18. I'm really OCD about that. Courtesy of Dizzy @ Twirliegirly
You mean anal. And even that's just wrong.
19. I literally died. Courtesy of Rebecca @ Pocahontas Jane
And yet here you are telling me the story. You need to be scientifically probed about that. Literally.
20. Believe you me.
Wait, what? That doesn't even make sense. Why would I believe you?
21. Where did you last have it?
If I knew that, I wouldn't be asking for your input as to where it is currently.
22. Tour de force.
Pretentious much? Can we not just say it was good? *Sigh*
23. At the end of the day / The bottom line is...
I'll stop you right there. Did you know that there is one word you can use instead of spouting this irritating tosh? Ultimately. Please just use that.
24. That ship has sailed.
Missed the boat on that one.
25. Referring to things like make-up as 'beat'. Courtesy of Angi @ Two Different Worlds
As Angi put it - "My face looks beat" doesn't sound like a positive thing to me!
26. On fleek / On point Courtesy of Lesley @ The Rustic Wedding Company
What does this even mean? Ohhh, it's a good thing? Right, OK.
27. Telling you, it was hashtag cringe! Courtesy of Amy @ Purely Amy
Yes. Using the actual word hashtag to explain the situation's status during a conversation. #Cringe.
28. Were you born in a barn?
Wow, I just forgot to close the door but thanks for pointing it out in such a way, you obnoxious git.
29. You only live once (YOLO!)
You do know you only die once too, right?
30. At this moment in time.
It's just an excuse to get out of what's being asked. Such a weak escape! Man up and say no instead.
So there you have it. 30 of the most annoying words and phrases that simply must stop!! What others would you add? Are there any on here that you feel shouldn't be?
Linking up to #kcacols with A Moment With Franca.